Pages

12/3/11

Helping around the Barn

Hey y'all! Helped out around the barn yesterday...And I got to be a model for the day(:

Yeah, who would have thought I would ever be a model??
Well, it wasn't legit modeling...But it was still fun!

Anyways, my friend Lindsey and I went to the barn yesterday because my lesson instructor was "up to her eyeballs in horses that need to be ridden and worked"
So we piled on the layers, packed some hot chocolate, and headed out.

We got there around noon and started feeding the horses. I have to say, hay bales are HEAVY. One of the reasons I was not looking forward to doing this job. But they let us use the wheelbarrow, so it was ok(: We fed every single horse on the property, and grained our horses.

The goat there, Bailey, went crazy when we were getting the grain. He actually pinned his ears and kicked me..four times..!!
Not. Fun. He doesn't kick as hard as the evil mini named Elmo, but he kicks hard!
The dogs were a problem too. There's four of them there, Red, Emy, Petey, and Blanca. They followed us around the whole time with their ball, begging us to throw it with their cute puppy-dog eyes. It worked.

After we got all of the horses fed, came the fun part.

Excercising naughty horses is just a great experience, isn't it??

FIRST. You chase them around the pasture for 40 minutes trying to catch them and put a halter on. I usually have no problem catching horses, but this turned out to be a little tricky. Eventually we had to get grain and use that.

SECOND. You have to actually lead them out of the pasture. This alone took almost 10 minutes.

THIRD. You tie them up and groom them. Let's just say, Junie B. (The horse I got) doesn't like to pick up her feet to have them cleaned...

FOURTH. You actually put the tack on. Saddle was fine, but bridle? Took forever! Tighten the cinch TWICE.

FIFTH. You make sure your cinch is tightened(then tighten it again. Gotta do it at least three times!), and hop on...

So we took these two very forward horses into the trails. Being forward means that they don't do anything slow. They like to take the reigns and run.
We had to work on walking with them, then run them, then calm them down and get them to walk again.
Me and Junie B. after the trails.
















So we were on the trails. We found the perfect hill to run, it was about halfway through the trail, so we'd been working on walking, then we could work on walking again for the last part. Lindsey was ahead of me, and she started running. I held Junie B. until they were halfway up the hill, then clicked. All I had to do was make a tiny little  "click" sound with my tongue, and she took off. My hat blew off, my saddle fell to the side, and I lost the reigns.

How fun.

Yep. I tightened the cinch four times, and my stupid saddle still slipped to the side. The problem, I think, was that I had a bad saddle pad. But I had to tack up fast because we had a ton of other horses to excercise, so I just grabbed one.

So, of course, this horse is tall. And I have to get off, run down the hill, grab my hat, and then get back on her. Plus, she walks off as soon as you get one foot in the stirrup, so it was kinda hard. But Lindsey held her for me, so it was ok.

So we finally got them back to the barn without anyone dying and falling off, then the real fun part started.

My instructor just got some new horse. One is a grey thoroughbred mare. Her sire is ranked 7th in the nation for horse racing. He died, though, which makes her even more valuable.
Another is a paint. He doesn't have a name, but I think he should be called Rufus (long story)
The one I love is a really cute horse. he doesn't have a name, but we're thinking about Ace..
This is where the "modeling" comes in. My instructor is a photographer, and she also sells horses. So Lindsey and I got on a horse, I got on Ace, and she got Rufus, and did whatever we were told- walk, trot (Ground was wayyy too hard to lope. Hard and uneven), halt, spin, cross the bridge, collect, etc.

So it wasn't exactly modeling, but we're going online. All we had to do was make the horses look good(: These are the ones my mom took

 Love this horse so much.
 Okay...I could not live without Picnik. I love the effect I used on this..its called Winterize I think
 Me and Aceeee!!!
 Aww how cute!!
Ace<3
















Aceeeee<3













He's super responsive and has a really fun trot! Super easy to post, even though I hate posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment